Monday 4 November 2019

(Poem) 'Alone' by Lauren Temple


Alone
I was always afraid to be on my own
Constantly crowded by voices including my own
Mine overlapping everyone else’s
But never on its own

I don’t know why I hid from myself
Like I did the monsters under my bed
Fell asleep straight away
Too afraid to be alone with my thoughts

Without other people I had nothing
I existed completely within their opinions of me
I was a shadow who attached themselves to other people’s bodies

Why was I so afraid of myself?
Cute little girl
Pig tails
Telling tales of fun days out
Singing songs
The whole world my audience
And I was so proud of who I was when they were looking

But it was when I had to be still
When I had to be quite
When I had to be alone
That is when I could not cope

Why?
Was it because she always played with me
so when she died
I associated any alone time with the burning pain inside my chest
Or was it because to be alone was a punishment
From my best friend
I was told to behave
Or else
I would have to be alone
And I would have to face who I was becoming
A voice so loud but silent when there was no one around to hear

So I would attach myself to my mother
My dad called me a limpet crab
Said I would love it if I could just crawl back into her belly
I replied ‘yes, I would’
Because there
attached and dependent
I would never have to be alone again



No comments:

Post a Comment