Monday 4 November 2019

(Poem) 'My Mother' by Lauren Temple


My mother:

My mother is a photocopy of her childhood
She is the warm water before it boils
The trickling
Water like words
Flowing with relief

Soft skin scolds faster
I suppose that's why mine always burns
I favor the hot over the luke warm
My skin scared
Red flames from breath my feet
I float on fire
Dunk my head underneath

And among the flames I question why

Why is she a photocopy
Of the way she had to be
When all that’s left for me
is the opposite of my childhood

Because she was never young really
When she knows exactly how much cold
and exactly how much heat
makes the perfect recipe
Never scolds herself for the thrill of the flames like me
They turn my bones to charcoal
I burn on my own
Unlike her I can’t just be

And my mother is a photocopy of her childhood
So how did she create me
She is the water on my tongue before it dries
She can’t quench my thirst this time
Because I the fenix who burns in their own flames
But dose not rise
I the fenix that sinks benethe




No comments:

Post a Comment